Town of Morningside, MD
Morningside Chief of Police
The position will remain open until filled
This position is located in Morningside, MD. The employee will oversee law enforcement and security program, leading and providing protection for a small (less 2,500 population) municipality. Employee must have demonstrated knowledge, skill, and abilities of police methods, practices, and procedures, US and Maryland Constitution, crime deterrent and prevention procedures. Bilingual skills a plus (both verbal and written). Candidate will be subject to in-depth background check to include polygraph testing. Preferred candidate will live in Prince George’s County. Competitive salary and benefits for a small Town. Please note there are no relocation funds for this position.
As the Chief of Police, the incumbent has the responsibility for the development, implementation, evaluation, and management of all facets of police operations activities at the Town. The major duties and responsibilities of the position include:
- Planning and assigning work, balancing workload, and adjusting schedules and assignments, providing instruction on functions and activities
- Develops and implements police security criteria to eliminate or control criminal vulnerabilities for businesses, residents, and Town property
- Researches and develops grant projects, prepares state and federal grant applications, researches grant related equipment purchases, prepares periodic performance reports, statistical data, and progress narratives on grants
- Plans, manages, oversees, and evaluates the police patrol program to provide protections for buildings, employees, building occupants, and visitors to prevent theft, and other crimes, infractions of peace on the property and forcible assault or attack
- Ensures required documentation of Police Department activities, including relevant reports and forms are completed, and forwarded to the proper authorities
- Advises Mayor, Council, and Public Safety on a full range of police and security matters.
- Bachelors’ degree from an accredited university, however a combination of relevant experience and education may be considered
- At least 10 years of law enforcement experience and at least 3 years of command experience in a police department of similar size and complexity, or larger at the rank of Sergeant or above.
- Documented experience as a detective or certified police instructor in the area of firearms or defensive tactics preferred
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- This is a sworn position and candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a MPCTC certification, to include meeting and maintaining the prescribed requirements and qualifications associated with “Certified” status.
How to Apply:
Applicants are required to submit a resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to the attention of Mayor Bennard Cann at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read "Town of Morningside Chief" Please no phone calls.
The Town of Morningside is an Equal Opportunity Employer without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, disability, political or union affiliation.