The regular meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Bennard Cann. The following Council Members were present: Vice Mayor Bradley Wade, Katie Blade, Todd Mullins and Sharon Fowler. Chief Amos Damron, Barry Wade from Code Enforcement, Chief Michael Stout from the MVFD, and Clerk-Treasurer Karen Rooker were also present.
Mayor Cann led all in the Pledge to the Flag.
APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES
MISCELLANEOUS/OPEN FORUM – there was no one signed up to speak from the work session of January 9, 2018.
INTRODUCTION/ADOPTION OF RESOLUTIONS AND ORDINANCES
Introduction of Ordinance Chapter 21 – Office of Emergency Management
REPORT OF OFFICERS/BOARDS/COMMITTEES
Code Enforcement – Barry Wade gave a written and verbal report. He will attend the next work session to finalize the Rental License letters.
Public Works – Michael Johnson read his written report.
Administrative Office – Clerk-Treasurer Rooker reported that the Audit for FY 2017 is completed and filed. Each Council Member has a copy of the audit in their packet for this evening. New Postal rates go into effect on Jan 21, our cost for metered mail goes from $.46 to $.47. She worked with Code Enforcement to get letters to 3 businesses that are still delinquent in their personal property taxes paid for 2015-2016 and 2016-2017. Letters for the 2017-2018 personal property taxes will go in the mail on January 17, 2018. All of the different versions of the Town Ordinances have been consolidated and given to Code Enforcement to look over before presentation to the Council. We are gathering information for the next newsletter. Hall rentals are being handled on an as-needed basis.
Police Department – No report tonight due to technical issues.
Council Member Blade - Nothing new to report at this time.
Vice Mayor Wade – Nothing new to report at this time.
Mayor Cann – Thanked all who participated in the Breakfast with Santa event. It was a great success. Everyone loved the magician. He will be meeting with Cpl Szmidt and Admin Associate Foster regarding updating the website. The Town will be participating in a Youth Program through the County. 2 youth will work in the Town for 5 weeks this summer with their salaries being picked up by the program.
Council Member Mullins – Wished everyone a Happy New Year. Also piggybacked off of the Mayor regarding the Breakfast with Santa event.
Council Member Fowler – Thanked the Fire Department for their help with the Breakfast with Santa event. The Council is looking for more events to hold throughout the year.
Public Works – Mayor Cann read the report from Mike Johnson. Due to the impending weather, the Public Works Department is not in attendance this evening.
Fire Department – Chief Stout reported that the hook & ladder truck was taken out of state for refurbishing. The new car was put into service. A second ambulance has been purchased. Fire personnel helped to stop a carjacking that ended in the firehouse parking lot.
- Reviewed by all
- Digital calendar still in the works
- Add the PGCMA meetings when Mayor provides them
- Have things ready for newsletter no later than 1/24/18
- Include Election Information
- Include Bates Trash List
- Ads are to be small and still free at this time
UBS Account –
- All Council members were provided copies of the statement from the Town’s UBS investment account.
- Phillip Staples was hired as a Police Officer as of 1/8/18.
- The Town is looking for a grant to sponsor PW employee O Portillo to go through the Police Academy and then come work for the Town. Further information to come.
- Chief Damron read a citation that will be presented to Officer Nation Smith at a later date. Officer Smith was unable to attend the meeting due to being on a call.
MML Summer Conference
- The Conference is June 10-13, 2018
- Hotel reservations opened up today. Need to know how many to block because they fill up quickly.
- The 2016-2017 Audit is complete and filed.
- Each Council Member has a copy of the Audit.
- All paperwork has been returned from the Auditor’s office.
- A copy of the monthly report was distributed to all Council Members.
- Motion by Vice Mayor Wade, second by Council Member Mullins to pay the bills for the month of January in the amount of $65,233.95. No further discussion. All voted aye. Motion carried,
David Okon – Wala Bleygay’s Campaign Manager spoke on her behalf. She is sponsoring an Educational Round Table on 1/31/18 @ 7pm.
Meeting adjourned at 8:00 pm.