TOWN OF MORNINGSIDE
The regular meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Bennard Cann.
Vice Mayor Wade led all in the Pledge to the Flag.
Mayor Cann – Present
Vice Mayor Wade – Present
Council Member Blade – Present
Council Member Fowler – Present
Council Member Mullins – Present
Town Admin – Karen Rooker – Present
Police Dept – Chief Damron – Present
Fire Dept – Absent
- Bates – Corey Walker is the current Operations Manager for Prince George’s County with Bates Trucking. He discussed several issues regarding all types of trash pickup. The company is currently looking for a new Town Liaison. The mayor opened the floor up to the residents and Council for questions and concerns. Mr. Bruce Bates, the company owner, was invited to this meeting by did not come.
APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES
Motion made by Council Member Blade, seconded by Council Member Fowler to approve the minutes of the ordinance book update meeting of September 18, 2018, regular meeting of September 18, 2018, the ordinance book update meeting of October 9, 2018 and the work session of October 9, 2018. No further discussion. All voted aye. Motion carried.
MISCELLANEOUS/OPEN FORUM – There was no one signed up from the work session meeting of October 9, 2018.
INTRODUCTION/ADOPTION OF RESOLUTIONS AND ORDINANCES
- Resolution 2019-001 – Supporting Participation in the Sustainable Maryland Municipal Certification Program
Motion by Vice Mayor Wade, seconded by Council Member Blade to Support the Participation in the Sustainable Maryland Municipal Certification Program and appoint Mayor Cann as the point person for this endeavor. No further discussion. All voted aye. Motion carried.
REPORT OF OFFICERS/BOARDS/COMMITTEES
Code Enforcement – Code Officer Wade gave an oral and written report.
At this time Tamara McClellon from Imagine Academy of Morningside arrived to speak to the Mayor, Council and residents present regarding the Clean Up & Green Up event to be held at the school on October 20, 2019.
REPORT OF OFFICERS/BOARDS/COMMITTEES (continued)
Public Works – Mike Johnson provided a written and oral report.
Administrative Office – Clerk-Treasurer Rooker gave an oral & written report.
Police Department - Chief Damron gave a written and oral report.
Council Member Blade – Announced Truck or Treat on October 19, 2019 from 7-9 at Town Hall.
Vice Mayor Wade – Nothing new to report at this time.
Mayor – Nothing new to report.
Council Member Mullins – Concrete repair on sidewalks & curbs are complete. Crack filling of the streets will commence weather-permitting.
Council Member Fowler – She is helping Council Member Blade with Trunk or Treat and the Costume Contest.
2018 MML Fall Conference
- Mayor Cann attended the Fall Conference in Annapolis last week. There was a good “Small Towns” forum – everyone is apparently having “chicken” problems.
- It was a good networking event.
- Discussed the top 3 top Municipal Legislative Priorities: Small Cellular Infrastructure; 5-year Annexation Rule/Appeal Modification; Municipal Taxing Authority.
Letters for Outside Wall Sign
- Admin will call Jennifer at Lamberson signs for a quote to replace all letters.
- Admin will call Mr. Ealey to see if he would volunteer to install them.
Public Works Winter Maintenance Class
Motion by Council Member Fowler, seconded by Council Member Mullins to send Mike Johnson and James Adams from Public Works to the Winter Maintenance Class on October 25, 2018 at a cost of $99 per person. No further discussion. All voted aye. Motion carried.
- The Mayor accepted the resignation of Lori Williams for compiling the newsletter.
- He thanked her for her many years of service.
- There will be a quarterly newsletter mailed to those who have requested to keep receiving hard copies and it will also be posted on our website. The tentative dates for the newsletter are: January (articles due Dec 17th), April (articles due Mar 18), July (articles due June 17) and October (articles due Sept 16).
- The Council finally got through going over the book and making updates/deletions.
- Code Enforcement and Clerk-Treasurer will work in incorporating the changes and present the updated book to the Council at the November 2018 Work Session meeting.
- The Council will go through again before sending the book to the Town attorney for legal advisement.
- For Council FYI
- Ask NTI for recommendations for electronic version
- Please add names of Council Members attending PGCMA Meeting as a reminder
Get Out The Vote Cook Out
- The Get Out The Vote Cook Out scheduled for Sunday, October 21, 2018 at the Town hall has been moved to Monday, October 22, 2018 at 6pm due to the Redskins/Cowboys football game.
- Admin Staff will contact Master Nance to cancel Karate for that date.
- The Luncheon this year will be on Friday, November 16, 2018 at 11am.
Motion by Council Member Blade, second by Vice Mayor Wade for a budget not to exceed $200 to hold the annual Senior Luncheon at the Town Hall. There are approximately 40 seniors on our current list. This budget will cover all expenses for the event. No further discussion. All voted aye. Motion carried.
Swearing-In Council at Imagine Academy
- The Mayor has been asked to swear-in the new student government council at Imagine Academy on November 9, 2018 at 8:30 am.
- He would like as many as possible of the Morningside Town Staff to attend.
LGIT Business Meeting – November 1
- The Mayor has requested that there be representation from Morningside at the LGIT Annual Business Meeting.
- Morningside is to receive an award and he would like someone to be there to accept it.
- Please let him know if you can attend.
Pay the Bills
Motion by Council Member Mullins, seconded by Vice Mayor Wade to pay the bills from September 19, 2018 through October 16, 2018 for a total of $24,966.34. No further discussion. All voted aye. Motion carried.
- No one was signed up to speak.
Meeting adjourned at 8:49 pm.